Preparing Your Home For Sale
19 Affordable Styling Tips
First impressions make a significant impact on a buyer's decision making process!
1) Clear out closets and clutter - sellers can give away or pack up toys, linens, and small kitchen appliances to store offsite. Buyers are also forgiving of storage boxes neatly tucked away in a garage or basement.
2) Focus most on the most visible areas - the foyer, kitchen, living room, master bedroom, and family room.
3) De-personalize the home by removing photos, mementos, and dated items.
4) Use plants in colorful pots or inexpensive wicker baskets to fill in empty spaces.
5) Look to home catalogs for little details on beautifying the home - for instance, group books, pictures, and objects appealingly on bookcases
6) Furniture placement - try angling one or two pieces of furniture slightly and move furniture 4 inches to 6 inches from the wall to create more interesting room spaces.
7) Put away large collections - porcelains, plates, and so on
8) Remove valuables, prescription medicine, collectibles, and breakables.
9) Focus most on the most visible areas - trim trees, prune shrubs, and make sure the lawn is mowed and watered regularly.
10) Summertime - turn on the sprinklers for five minutes, 30 minutes before the open house. It makes the lawn and driveway sparkle.
11) Consider your cooking - refrain from cooking anything that leaves a distinctive odor, such as fish, garlic, or cabbage
12) Deep clean - hire a professional service to clean the home, including the carpets and the windows.
13) Set the dining room table with attractive linens, dishes, and stemware.
14) Little touches - Arrange fresh or silk flowers throughout the home to add bursts of color and pleasing aromas.
15) Colder months - Light a fire in the fireplace in fall and winter to ensure that your home feels warm and inviting
16) A mirror in a pretty frame can make a small room feel more open.
17) Pull back the shades - Use as much natural light as possible. Add extra lamps in dark rooms or corners.
18) Make functional repairs - fix dripping faucets, sticking doors, and broken fences.
19) Bring in another pair of eyes - even if it’s not a professional stylist. The person may see problems you and have missed.